Wednesday, April 26, 2006

GOING UNDERGROUND!!!

I don't know if my memory is right, but I remember reading that a significant portion of the Philippine economy belongs to the so-called "underground economy," meaning the small entrepreneurs on the sidewalks-alright vendors-the public transport service lead by jeepneys, etcetera and etcetera.
Since the Philippine economy has not taken off to great heights, and it seems that only the foreign-born tycoons are the only ones reaping the little economic gains, I just decided to start patronizing the "movers and shakers" of the underground economy. I have been buying menthol candy from a hawker on the steps of the Buendia MRT station or from the hawkers on Ayala Avenue and anti-cold tablets from a hole-in-the-wall drugstore even if I can save by buying in bulk from the established joints.
Okay, the vendors don't pay taxes and they are a nuisance to pedestrians and motorists. But, I'd rather patronize an apolitical, homegrown entrepreneur who only want to feed his family than a tycoon who have politicians in his payroll and who syphons his income to foreign shores rather than re-invest the money here and employ more Filipinos.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.